I’ve taken my bike on Amtrak's Capitol Corridor and Coast Starlight lines
without any questions or problems. Both trains had a carriage with a bike area:
bikes ride in an upright rack with folding arms to which bikes can be strapped
and locked without removing the front wheel.

No one measured my bike or asked me about it, and the times I’ve ridden the
train with my bike, I’ve seen only one or two other bikes in the rack.