I was wondering how I was going to fare wearing the Kinco Axeman mittens
this morning @26 degrees, sunny and a light crisp dry fresh breeze. I wore
the longer cuff Harbor Freight 7 mil nitrile gloves underneath, reversed so
the slick inside glides with the fleece interior of the mitt.  W U N D A B
A H  ! (pronounced like voon-da-bah) aka Wonderful !

I wasn't so sure about the feet either as usually below 32 has been cold
toes with my Altra Trail runners, even with Showers Pass Mountain socks
that are windproof and have some wool inside, supposedly. They weren't very
warm by themselves, surprisingly, until this year I started wearing plastic
grocery bags around my feet before I put the socks on. Now they're warm !
Vapor barriers for the win !  For more warmth I can place some plastic
packaging pouches converted to toe booties inside my shoes.

Plus I bought me some fancy Sportful Fiandre road specific jackets this
fall, one of which aptly named "Warm" with a Gore Infinium wind stopping
softshell and a laminated fleece lining. (Fiandre is Italian for Flanders,
a region of Belgium famous for fabulous pro road races) The "Warm" jacket
has all sorts of ventilation built into it, from a narrow strip of fleece
running the length of the under arms, to the mesh caped upper back vent, to
two small zippered side torso vents. It's a brilliant design. It's not
meant for below freezing so I wore two light baselayer shirts, which I
found is warmer than one thicker one, plus another Fiandre jacket on top of
the baselayers and underneath the Warm. The Fiandre NoRain Light short
sleeve jacket. Gawd is it awesome, the back is breathable rain resistant
fabric and the rest is a thin wind stopping laminate that's noiseless and
supple. Having that extra windproof fabric over the shoulders to the elbows
makes a huge difference compared to vests. Very light and packable. All
these Fiandre jackets are like hybrid jersey/jackets, they're meant to be
very form fitting and over baselayers, like a jersey.

All that with some nice warm Santini Aldo bib tights which I'm pretty sure
is the heaviest/most dense fleece made road cycling wear. No wind blocking
panels, minimal seams, just the dense and very supple "Roubaix" style
fleece, smooth outside and fleecy inside.

Riding in long low road position(notably less air resistance !) and having
form fitting no flap clothing this year I've kept riding this fall whereas
usually I would have given in to the cold for walking/hiking instead.

Having a warm head of course is essential and I use combos of balaclavas,
neck gaiters and Lowe Alpine Mountain Caps, which are the bees knees for
anything in the cold. Goretex shell and fleece lining, with loops @ the
chin for DIY securing under the chin. Mine are some 12 years old, but I see
they still make them, albeit with their own proprietary waterproofing
rather than a Gore product.
https://mountainequipment.com/products/classic-mountain-cap-alpine-hat The
brim is wired so bendable any which way, plus it snaps up under the little
horizontal piece of fabric on the front. The main thing I get out the hat
is that it is windproof, just like the socks. If my head is cold I have no
chance to stay warm !