As a long time Sugino hidden bolt user I agree the chainring
removel/install process can be onerous. Over a period of time and you
develop a technique (like Bill has kindly shared) I do believe it becomes
easier. And, as my wife always tells me, "patience is a virtue". A useful
mantra for much of the bike tinkering I do. Metal fender installation comes
to mind here.

Something not mentioned in this discussion is the quality or consistency of
chainring nuts & bolts. I have sometimes switched out nuts and bolts when
the nut tool isn't making a tight connection. Steel or aluminum? Does that
make a difference? I don't know; I've always used steel.

Best,
Rich in ATL