https://www.renehersecycles.com/trail-does-not-make-a-bike-stable/  -  I
think this has a pretty good explanation of wheel flop.

Having ridden a low trail bike (Romanceur) I found it felt twitcher and
more sensitive to handlebar movement at all speeds. I think I really
"steered with the hips" a bit more here. Also - lower trail seems to carry
weight up higher a bit better so you see more weight up top on baskets or
bar bags, especially at slow speeds.

High trail bikes have more flop - which from my understanding is the bike
front end lowers slightly. This gives a lot more handlebar feedback. Lots
of mountain bikes are higher trail. You can carry higher front loads on
them as well - but you may notice on slower / sharper turns it feeling
literally "floppy". At speed it'd likely be stable. Some porteur bikes have
a bit more mid trail for carrying more substancial weight mixing stability
and lower flop.

Honestly, having ridden a lot of different bikes with different trail I can
say you will almost always get used to what you're spending time riding.
The only time i've noticed it to be intolerable was building up a bike for
my girlfriend who is very short. It was an 80's Miele with 700c wheels.
Seat tube was 48cm but the top tube was 52 and very very raked out. I've
since switched it with a terry 24/700 and it's a real difference in
positive ride quality.

This has all lead me to think to focus on trail and flop is a bit overblown
within reason. We all have personal preferences but it feels like a
marketing ploy these days. Trail and flop is really specific and niche
aspect of the bike that really should be determined by a good builder or
designer (Riv etc) based on wheelsize, tire size, ride quality, utility,
and preference. Obviously Rivendell does this with their bikes - i've seen
attempts to "low trail" a hunq or atlantis - but the reality is these bikes
are really well designed and functional as is. With my current custom being
built by a montreal builder - I was very insistent on low trail like my
Romanceur. However after several consultations he suggested going slightly
more mid trail as it would fit the build and purpose of the bike better. I
trust the builder to understand the geometry.

I had a new Clem Smith Jr with more wheel flop and it carried front weight
*less well* in a heavy front basket vs a slightly less high trail
Clementine. Both were floppy with a overfilled basket vs the Romanceur.