I don't think we are disagreeing; I would not be surprised if the modern
fixation on cadence (you gotta keep the revs in the efficient band) started
up about the same time that uber-stiff aluminum frames*, *AND* as the
number of cogs in back grew past 7. But  from the vast and disorganized
reading about cycling I've done over the decades I really do think that
riders were thinking about cadence long before the 1980s.

Sure, if you have few gear ratios, even more if you ride fixed or ss, you
necessarily become used to riding a large range of cadences and torque
levels -- and, for me, that is one of the great pleasure of riding fixed.
And the limited gear range provided by old SA IGHs, fw or fixed, still
allows and requires this flexibility in cadence. But even single speed
riders choose ratios that suit their riding style: Sheldon of sainted
memory preferred to gear about 10 gear inches higher than I like -- my
ideal single fixed gear is ~75" for light gofast and ~70" for
utility/errand/load bearing riding.

* I recall riding my brother's Klein mtb: *girder!!! -- *but not entirely
to be deprecated all the same; it did give a "feel" of instant acceleration.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*