VO makes a good case for triples:

https://mailchi.mp/velo-orange.com/triplesaregreatchangemymind?e=9c5efe5ba1

*Simplicity and Effectiveness* While 1x systems boast simplicity, the
emphasis on constant shifting may be overstated. Many riders find
themselves primarily using the middle ring, operating as a 1x system with
added flexibility to adapt to different terrain.

The point that triples are usually used as 1Xs with low and high ranges
available is the key, I think. I know that, even with 10 or 11 in back, I'd
not want a 1X, and even a 1X + granny (ie, very wide range subcompact 2X)
would leave me wanting easy-shifting gears for steep rolling offroad
terrain (which I don't ride anymore), as I found when I swapped out a 3X7
for a 2X9 on my erstwhile Fargo. For road use including heavy loads and
steep hills the 2X9 was easier to use and provided sufficient range with
close cruising steps, but I did miss the middle-ring range between about
65" and 35" which comes with the middle ring on a 46/36/24 triple.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*