If I were to use a coaster brake, I'd also have a front brake of some sort,
and I'd attach the torque arm with a wingnut.

Funny: my first bike build, December 1970; halfway through 10th grade
(mid-summer Christmas vacation at 1*16' 59" South latitude) had first no
brake at all and then a coaster brake. I did everything wrong and was
disconcerted to lear that no frame-mount brake would fit, but when I got
tired of riding a brakeless bike down steep, winding, narrow, 55 mph
traffic arteries and in downtown traffic, I had a *fundi* install a flea
market coaster brake. Gearing IIRC was 90" -- 50 X 15 X ~27".  Whether it
was the gearing or whether the brake cam was worn out, backpedaling made
little difference until you stomped backward, which would lock up the wheel.

Indian-made rod braked roadster frame bought new and cheap from a downtown
Nairobi shop, cottered crank with swaged-on chainring made for butcher's
bike, Czecho steel rim and flip flop rear hub with 15 t fw and ~28 mm tire
from a friend, 24" Westwood front wheel stolen from my little brother's
child-scale rod braked roadster, ancient drooping aluminum drop bar,
Raleigh vinyl over springs saddle, rat trap pedals with no clips nor
straps. Fun times and "there's a special Providence that watches over
drunks, children, and Americans." I sold it after about a year for KS/150
to fund the complete teardown and refurbishment of a ~1960 Varsity with
hybrid 16/18 t AW rear wheel.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*