Not a direct comparison, but I can share that I've run 42mm Knobbies (WTB
Resolutes) with both 52mm VO Zeppelins and 58mm Tanaka smooth fenders. I
also ran a pair of 40mm Continental Terra Speeds (low profile knobs) under
the Tanakas. Each of those combinations would occasionally kick leaves and
small  sticks up into the front fender when riding gated fire roads,
sometimes necessitating a stop to clear the debris. My turf, however, is
woodsy Appalachian national forest -- a bit different from Patrick's high
desert.

This past autumn when the leaves began to fall I pulled the fenders off my
'dirt bike' and mounted the largest tires the bike would accommodate; 48mm
RH Oracle Ridge knobbies. I've been delighted with the bigger tires. The
fenders have been safely stored away, waiting for the day when I decide to
mount some 38mm RH Barlow Passes on it, swap the upright bars for drops and
take it on the road.

Steve in Asheville