A hack I now use that may be obvious to others on this list for unexpected
pop-up bike storage, such as for stopping for one small item at the store
and walking out with five or six items:

I stow a thin, light, nylon musette-type bag stuffed inside a small bar or
saddle bag. That way the musette is expandable, and once removed from the
small bar or saddle bag, I've got that cavity available to fill as well.

More and more I try to carry less and less on longer rides, and longer
rides for me typically include a half hour ascent from the front door. I
don't typically use a rack any longer, or even a large bag front or rear.
Fortunate to live within walking distance of many nice grocery stores.

- Chris