Hi Brian - you say you're sold, not sure on which bike. I'll weigh in for
the Appa (never having ridden a Susie, though). I use it as my true
all-rounder here in Southern California. It's my commute bike for 7 miles
up the hill on pavement to run all kinds of errands, including carrying
groceries. It's great of my weekend excursions, which often involve a mix
of pavement and fire roads, anywhere from 20 to 75 miles. It's been
wonderful to do more off-road things, like a three-day bike camping tour on
Catalina Island all over gravel roads. I've done some trail riding too and
plan to do more now that I've added Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires that do
better on rougher stuff than the road-ish tires the bike came with. All
that said--I still take out my hardtail fat-tire mountain bike when I want
to do more challenging trail riding, especially crossing creeks or tighter
single-track--but that doesn't happen very often as I'm not an all out
mountain biker anymore (never really was doing the extreme stuff.)