I have a bleriot with paul centerpulls and it clears 42s with fenders, or
48s without, but I too would prefer it to have cantis! the pauls are my
only centerpull experience, and though they stopped well I always observed
a lot of squishiness at the lever as well- which I've since reduced a lot
of that squish with beefier/more rigid cable hangers, linear brake housing
with filed flat ends, and even shimming the housing to close up gaps the
cable stops

I can now see the remaining squish is the actually the power of the brakes
compressing brake pads a *lot. *that's pretty cool when ya think of the
modulation aspect, but my other bike with cantis and 48s has just as much
braking power without all tinkering ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ time saved on brake tinkering
just went into drivetrain tinkering but hey waddayagonnado