The other way to discover what you really want to ride is to buy a lot of
bikes that sort of look like what you want (you are not sure what you
want), upgrade them all, repeat several times as you try to perfect
previously unrealized imperfections, then sell them at a loss. Do this for
a couple of decades, then buy customs. This method costs a bit more than
the other one.

But yes, ride lots of Rivendells. All those I've owned (I bought 5
including a 2nd-gen Ram and kept one that will turn 25 in April) all had a
certain common handling and "feel" in common. And I do think that a Ram, if
you don't want to spring for a Roadeo, might well be what you are looking
for.