Nothing epic here either, but I'll play. This incident sticks in my memory
as one of those incidents that you laugh about for the rest of your life.

Probably 30 years ago, young, spry 38 or 39 year old, working in Gallup,
Four Corners NM, outskirts of the Navajo Reservation. Took long lunch
break, early April, for ride. Spring winds had Sprung up. Winter layoff;
fat, tired, and weak. Took the hotrodded 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Team
with "road" wheelset (1 of 3: road, commuting, dirt): 559X 0.9" Specialized
Turbos, 48/38/26 triple (Topline?) and 12-19 7 speed cassette, (22 mm tires
on 19 mm OW rims = 24" diameter X 48/12 = 96" high). Rode east on Rte 66
with howling spring westerly behind me, big ring and small cogs, 27-28 mph,
thought, "Not bad, not bad, I'm in good shape!" 12-13 miles to where 66
disappeared into eastbound I-14. Turned around to go back.

NM spring westerlies are beasts!

Tailwind became headwind. Started in 38, used up cassette, admitted defeat
and got into the 26. Plugged away, ran out of water, plugged away until I
got back to office.

Exhausted, red eye from dust and wind, cramps in quads and calves, and also
abdominals. Cramped standing up, bent over, cramped bending over. Had
local-access TV show that evening (Gallup, NM; small time doesn't begin to
describe it, but I was PR Director for the area HC system). Went on air at
~6 pm with cramps and red eyes. Never learned about the Nielsen ratings.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*