+ 1 for the old Suntours.

OTOH, I got wonderful friction shifting with gen-1 Silvers, a Microshift
road rear derailleur, and a home-brew 9-speed cogset (used 9 sp spacers but
cogs were probably mix of 9, 8, 7, and possibly Uniglde). So a great deal
depends on the match between shifter and derailleur. In fact, I think that
this shifter/derailleur combination may have been an ideal pairing given
the cog mismatches, tho' the Barcon + DA 7402 combo today (shifting 10) is
as good if not even better, but now using proper 10 sp cogs and an 11 sp
chain, and I do prefer the action, the absence of slipping, and the
durability (broke 2 Silvers when bike fell over) of the Barcons.

OTOH again, I recall back about 2000 doing some mountain bike day tours
around Aspen and using the current mid-level Shimano indexed trigger
shifting of the time, both front and rear. I remember being very glad at
how well it all worked -- shove, snick, new gear -- when oxygen deprived
climbing a steep hill at 13K feet. And certainly the 7 speed indexed dt
rear shifting on my Sante equipped Falcon was absolutely flawless.