I was able to squeeze extra chunky ESI grips over the bar end shifter/cable
on my albas, but I didn't love those grips (slippery and not durable).

I didn't notch the grip to provide a channel for the cable, and as nitpicky
as I can be, I really didn't find it to be an annoyance.

my suggestion would be to use plenty of alcohol on the inside of the grip
when installing :)

-tio in bk