I totally get not wanting to purchase a non-Rivendell, but it might be well
worthwhile to borrow or rent a drop bar bike to try out - of course, it'll
be disorienting, but should hopefully give you a sense of "I think I'd get
used to this" versus "this is definitely not for me". The reason I say this
is because it could be all the difference between choosing October's lugged
Roadini versus November's Charlie H Gallop. I know that both bikes can run
either, in theory, but in practice they are much more suited to one vs the
other.