I have to wonder whether the increased cost per square area of the ever
popular e-bike vs, say, a simple bike that most folks used to purchase for
around town has improved the bottom line of many a bike ship. Of course, we
also see the trend of big box bike brands buying out many a good local
shop.

I also have to wonder whether the increased complexity of disc-brake
suspension e-bikes doesn't keep more bike mechanics busy, and busy with
keeping up the high volume of technical change in the industry, whether
electronic shifting or otherwise.

All that said, the simplicity of the pre-electronic, pre-index shifting,
pre-brifter configuration is so much of what appeals to me in a bike. I
think the late Danny Kahneman and Amos Tversky identified that we humans
prefer utility to value. Maybe that's why I like my Clem so much?

Besides, don't we obsess enough over the simple stuff? Can't imagine the
investment of time debating the details of a carbon electronic wonder
gadget. Sheesh.

- Chris