Among the athlete types this is the practice of "periodization."  One
works at a baseline level with varying, although shorter, bouts of
higher exertion.  The body is able to recover during the baseline
training and rest periods, and gradually come back stronger.  For
competitors, the challenge is to schedule your cyclical peaks for race
day.