My Sam Hillborne has a Phil f/w rear hub.  It's very nice.  Very
little dish and strong.  Since building the wheel earlier this year,
have yet to touch it with a spoke wrench.

Another bike has Shimano XT hubs and I repacked the rear hub bearings
after about 1,000 miles.

That said - the repack was easy with the right tools and, again with
the right tools, is quite easy to take a cassette off.  Not
necessarily the case with a freewheel.

Purchased the Phil hub because I really wanted a Phil hub.  Had lusted
after them since the early 1980's.  Finally decided to take the
plunge.  Plus my LBS gave me a price I could not refuse.  (Thanks
again to Jim at Hiawatha for that and for teaching me how to build a
wheel.)

If you really want a Phil, go for it.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN