Andrew

While I agree that it would not compare to a QB ,as the owner of a
Handsome Devil I can tell you I have been very pleased with it,
Especially at the $400 price point.  I got mine last year and have
probably put about 3000 km on it.  One of the things that drew me to
it (besides being too impatient/stupid to save a little more and get a
Bleriot) is its versatility.  With its drop outs and eyelets it can do
everything from a Fixie, to Cyclo cross, to touring or even a sport
road bike.  I generally have the bike set up with fenders, 35c
Pasela's, and racks but I also stripped it down recently and put my
Mavic Askiums with 25c tires on it and did a fast, for me, 100km ride
on it.

If you want a QB wait on it or the Simpleone, if you want a very
versatile, economical and versatile frame then the Handsome Devil is a
good bet.   And no, I am in no way affiliated with Handsome other than
being the owner of one of their frames.  Either way good luck.

My 2 cents

Ryan