William wrote:
...Too bad
for me that Chris K insists I can't tell the difference between
172.5mm and 170.

and pruckelshaus added:
I agree completely. No 172.5 makes it a non-starter for me....

Interestingly, I used to feel the same way. Recently, though, I took the vintage 1986 Dura Ace group off the tiny Shogun and put it on my vintage 1978ish racing frame. The crank in that group is a 165. I went for a 40k ride on it and, while I'd have to say I think I noticed a difference from my usual 172.5, I did NOT notice any difference in road speed. I did feel like I naturally rode at a slightly higher cadence. Whatever difference I felt was definitely not worse, and maybe was better. It really opened my mind up to where I'd use 170 instead of my normal 172.5 on any road bike. I didn't do any significant climbing, but I wouldn't expect that to change my mind.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA