On Aug 3, 2:01 pm, Eric Norris <campyonly...@me.com> wrote:
> Wondering if anybody else has had this problem with the "daruma" fork crown
> bolt that comes with some Honjo fenders.
>
> Basically, the daruma includes a rubber washer that seals against the bottom
> of the fork crown; a metal fender washer     > sits between the rubber washer
> and the fender.  After I installed the fenders and got in some miles in the
> rain, I noticed    > that the rubber washer was sealing the bottom of the
> fork crown and preventing water that got in there from draining out.  In >
> fact, the water was migrating upward (the only way it could go, really) and
> escaping around the stem.

Yeah, this can be a problem with the daruma setup.  I've noticed
increased condensation and surface rust inside the steer tube of bikes
that use this setup (I've since cleaned them thoroughly, sprayed a
rust preventative in the tube, and inspect annually).  Though, I do
think that you have the parts arranged incorrectly, which would
exasperate this issue.

>From the fender crown downward, the metal fender washer should be
installed, then the rubber washer, then the fender.  The metal washer
doesn't provide a water tight seal, and therefore allows water/sweat
to drain.

Peter White has an example photo on his website:

http://peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Accessories/bertffcb.jpg

John McMurry
Burlington, VT