On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 18:42 -0700, Jim Cloud wrote:

> On Aug 15, 3:19 pm, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> >

> > There's no Consumer Reports of bike tires, either.  So if there was a
> > diamond out there amongst all the hybrid tires, who would ever know it?
>
> Well, I think that Jan Heine has done a pretty good job of testing
> bicycle tires and this has certainly led to a greater demand for 700C
> tires like the Gran Bois Cypres 30mm (which Vintage Bicycles also
> sells).
>
> > Then there's pricing.  The cheap wide 700C tires basically set the price
> > the market's willing to pay.  Could you sell a tire that costs 2-3 times
> > as much as the competition?
>
> Again, the Gran Bois 700C Cypres tires are selling for $58.00 from
> Vintage Bicycle and others.  The demand for these tires, while
> limited, certainly exists.  I know several dedicated cyclists who ride
> these tires and they definitely attribute almost magical qualities to
> the Cypres (I haven't tried them myself, but I'm considering them in
> lieu of the Jack Browns).

Let's not forget, the Cypres is a 30mm (true 31-32) NOT a 38-42mm tire.
It's targeted at a different demographic, and there's no way to confuse
it with a hybrid tire.

> > There is no 700C bike that's built like a 650B
> > randonneur, why should there be a tire for one?
>
> The Boulder Bicycle randonneur bicycle is produced in sizes from 51cm
> to 61cm for either 650B or 700C tire sizes.  I believe, from any of my
> reference material (which included some Rene Herse brochures) that
> 650B tire size wasn't traditionally the size of tire that was used by
> French Randonneurs, they were generally 700C size.  The 650B was the
> size that French constructeur builders primarily used for "Camping"
> models.

BQ has published enough material from old French catalogs to disprove
your statement.

> > Why should they?  Those passionate about wonderful supple fast wide
> > tires are in the 650B arena.
>
> I suspect that the availability of the 650B size tire in the wide
> sizes has something to do with their origin in Japan, and the Japanese
> infatuation with French bicycles.  This demand is geared to
> domestically produced cycles in a range of frame sizes that would
> rarely exceed 56cm that are ideally suited for a 650B tire size.

And why would a 59 or 60 cm frame be any less ideally suited to the 650B
size?  Because some people think the wheels look too small?  Funny how
those same people will often recommend a 559 wheel instead, and that's
even smaller.