I'm going to go in the other direction...I've moved from wider and
wider, to narrower bars, and here's what I look for now...a 90 degree
angle between arm and torso, rather than the slight flare that comes
with wider bars (and I'm 6' with wide shoulders).   So long as I am
not hunching up with bars that cause me to have less than 90 degrees,
I feel that there's better support through the torso with that 90
degree position.  It has also allowed me to vary the flex and angle of
the back more.  Humorously enough, I think the infamous Jobst Brandt
also goes for narrower bars, but I don't want to assert this for sure,
as I don't want to dissappear in a burst of fire.   I've moved from
48, to 46, to 44, and am now trying 42s and 40s on my 2 daily rides.
I would say that to experiment is fairly simple and worth doing (I was
totally not prepared for liking the narrower bars til I tried them).
RB