I also find that I can stay in my 44 ring and ride over many of the
rollers in my area. Perhaps I am experiencing a similar thing due to
the fact that I am usually only using the 44 and 32 rings and only use
the 22 when I really need it. I'm only two teeth off from your compact
double so perhaps I could go that route in the future......hmmmm!