Dave,

Gorgeous bike.   Congrats!

Anne,

I'm not an expert bicycle historian or anything, but my perspective on
it is that since the traditional 'road bike' had a double crank, like
a 40/50 pair or something around that (like a 39/53);  and mountain
bikes are where I first came into triples in the front for that granny
gear... which made so much sense for a touring bike that needs to lift
loads up hills... but the triple does add some weight... and, if
someone is being competitive, then someone that 'needs' a triple isn't
going to be competitive against someone strong enough to do it on a
road double, so, I think there was disparaging of triples in the road
bike circles.

Of course, some folks realized they could use a lower gear, but wanted
to stick w/ a double instead of a triple, so the compact double came
about... one can easily argue that it makes sense for cyclocross,
being lighter since it's a double, but allows for that climbing gear
if needed; but I think a lot of its attraction comes from those who
want to continue to hold off of going w/ a triple, wanted to stick w/
a double for their own reasons, but could have used a triple.

Eric and Bob,

I built my Ram w/ the rear being a XT 11-32 cassette, and XT long-cage
derailler, to have a wider range; in the front, I went with a Dura-Ace
crank, but went w/ a triple, so that I could have that climbing gear;
that way I have a 30/39/53, a good wide range.   Most of the time on
the flats, I'm trying to run 53/12, but can drop back whenever needed
(which, is often).   Here in East Tennessee, we do have some hills, so
I find that I have to make use of the range of my gears...  I do try
to use my 39 gear when I need to climb, so I'm often on my 39/32
combo... but, there are a few around here that I just need a bit more,
and am glad of being able to drop to the 30/32 for that last umph...
I try not to, I'm trying to get stronger and not use it, but, it's
better to use it than not have it, for me.

Running the cassette and crank that I am, some things to consider are
chain length and wrap.  Of course, if I'm on the 53, I should be in
the 11/12 gears in the rear, and if I'm on the 30, I should be on the
28/32 gears... but, if I happened to go w/ a 53/32 combo, then I'd
better have a long enough chain, so I don't break it.  But conversely,
if I went w/ a 30/11 combo, the chain would be hanging slack and
falling off if you don't have a long-cage derailler to take up the
slack.    If I didn't use a long-cage, I could shorten the chain up a
bit to try to get the 30/11 combo to function, but, that risks being
too short,  the 53/32 combo to wreck the chain.   Of course, *don't*
use a 53/32 or a 30/11 pairing, is the correct answer, but, I did
adjust mine so it would function in the full range so I wouldn't have
a problem if I mis-shifted or something that put in in one of those
pairings.     And, while I don't ever come close to using the 30/11
pairing since I try to stay off the 30,  I do try to stay on my 50,
and often will end up closer to the 53/32 pairing before I go to the
39... I need to go to the 39 earlier, perhaps, but, the 53/32 works,
on mine, but, I don't recommend it.

FWIW....