Mike,

I understand your hesitation, but 98% of club riders ride a tire like
the one you mentioned.  If you're comfortable fixing flats, then it's
no problem.

Maybe the bigger issue is air volume and the added comfort that it
provides.  I love the my Jack Brown (greens) for the amount of bounce
that they provide.  The Rolly Polly tires are nice too.  Recently I
picked up a pair of the Paris-Robaix tires and am looking forward to
those.

If your max is 30mm, maybe you should try the Grand Bois tires.

Good luck!

Seth Ely