I wear size 11 shoes. I've been trying out different shoe (Vans,
Patagonia Bagley, Teva sandle) and different pedals (MKS sneaker, MKS
touring, GK). All work just fine for rides up to 60 miles or so. I
think part of the problem on this ride was that for the first 45 miles
I was riding at a good clip. And there was the long climb and some
rollers which I tend to ride in the big ring and standing. My feet
started to hurt right where the little traction nubs are on the pedal.
But when I finally took a 15 minute or so break at one of the controls
they felt much better and didn't bother me again.

I have no problem using SPDs I just really like using regular shoes.

I definitely won't be using 700x35 tires again for a brevet unless it
includes lengthy sections of gravel. Jack Brown Greens served me well
this year, I'll either continue to use them or maybe go back to
Paselas (32s) and just watch the sidewalls closely.

--mike