Yes Tim, That's my conclusion after thinking about it. Our roads are
bad enough, add the hilly terrain, and it makes for some dirty, scary
riding.

The Bombadil and some 2.1" or 45mm Nokian studded tires should be okay
for the flat rails to trails. Maybe even some good knobbies. I have a
set of Michelin XC AT's that I've not tried yet..... I guess It will
be time to try them.

 The Pugsly and the big tires are intriguing, so one can get some
float over the snow. The TT length is there, I'm just not sure about
the height of the steerer tube as bar height is the other
consideration. It needs a specially wide crank too with a 100mm BB
shell.

I can live with riding the rollers a few days a week as long as I can
get out a couple of days a week for a longer ride.   I was born/raised
in Minnesota .... lots of great memories....