Just in the case of Quickbeam / SimpleOne there might be a specific reason
that applies.

QB was made in Japan by Panasonic.  SimpleOne frame will come from Taiwan as
I understand it and is the fork going to be from Japan?.  QB was only ever
available as a complete bike AFAIK.  SimpleOne can be had as just frame and
fork, I believe.  I could be remembering all this incorrectly.

The different names are to distinguish the two different bikes *and* their
origins although they have the same design.  Yes?

Big Redwoods might have had some different tubes than Romulus even though
the geometry was the same.  Just a guess.

Grant wanted the big guys to feel special so he gave it a different name.
You know how the big guys are always whining and complaining about no frames
to fit them.   Boo Hoo.  Poor big guys.

Under this logic, technically the canti-Roms should have had a different
name, too, so maybe I have the whole thing wrong.  I think by the time GP
realized the canti-Roms were on the way it was too late to give them a
different name.  Remember, they were kind of unintended and produced due to
a less than perfect communication.

-jb - has a 58 QB and two 59 Romulus bikes and is not looking for a fight
with any big guys - in Minneapolis.

But if you are a big guy lets say I am in Buffalo, Wyoming.  Yeah, that's
where I am.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Philip Williamson <
philip.william...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've wondered about this for a while, and it's been percolating around
> my brain for a couple of days in earnest. Why do you think Rivendell
> changes model names and house brands the way they do?
>
> The "Quickbeam" is now the "SimpleOne," but it appears to be the same
> design.
> The Bombadil changed from a double top tube to a diaga-tube and kept
> its name.
> The Romulus' two tallest sizes were a whole 'nother model, the
> Redwood.
> Bagginses out, Sackvilles in.
>
> On the other hand, the Atlantis has been in production for a decade,
> unchanged even in color (as far as I know).
>
> Do you think it's just for fun? Is there's a magic notebook of awesome
> bike names that Grant is working through? Is it a way to differentiate
> price points on similar bikes?
>
> Hoping I'm not the only one who wonders these things,
>  Philip
>
>  Philip Williamson
> www.biketinker.com

John Blish