Many thanks, Stan... That's great to hear firsthand from someone who's
enjoyed the trail.

BTW, I heard back from Bill Yacovissi, the owner of the
http://www.pinecreekbikerides.com/ website, who (in this excerpted
message from him) said:
===================
Hi BB:

Your plan sounds great and I believe Wellsboro will suit your group
and your plans.  If you've not been in this part of Pa before I would
say most people underestimate how rural and remote north central Pa is
which, is what makes it a great place to visit.  Also, Wellsboro is a
particularly nice town, unusually prosperous for a Pa small town in an
otherwise economically depressed area.

I will say weather in the spring can be iffy.  Compared to downstate
and coastal areas winter here hangs on through March.  I would try to
arrange your event as late in May as possible.  Typically summer
arrives instantly the first week in May and the weather is very nice
all summer, cool evenings, refreshing mornings, hot afternoons.

Motels, B&B, and such will be fine as well as restaurants and places
for evening repasts.  The only issue here is the area is in the midst
of a natural gas drilling boom and a lot of people have come up from
Texas to work on the rigs and are occupying some of the motel rooms.

I think riding with your group will be fun and I will be happy to
consult with you on routes.

If you look on a map of Pa you'll see a huge area of state forest land
just too the west and south of Wellsboro.  The state maintains roads
throughout the forest.  While these are public roads, on most of them
you won't have a car pass you all day, on some you might have 2 or 3
cars in a day.  You can ride all day through beautiful forest totally
unmolested by traffic.  The surface on the roads is good for bikes,
much like you find on a rails trail.

The rides on my bike page are all on roads.  If you look at the topo
maps you'll see trails there as well.  It certainly is easy to do a
ride on all trails or a combination of roads and trails.  I typically
don't ride trails so the rides are there, just not on my bike page.

Also if you look at the topos you'll see the area is really a plateau
cut up by canyons.  It's a full 1,000 feet from the canyon floor to
the top of the plateau.  Once you get on top it's surprisingly flat.
The gradient on the roads is not steep but it can seem a long 2 or 3
miles uphill to get to the top.  Of course the 4 mile downhill run at
the end is something different. Anyway you might consider ferrying
weaker rides a mile or so up the hill then drive back down and park at
the bottom.

Hope this helps and you plans work out.

Bill Yacovissi
====================

Back to your point, Stan.  As far as the rail trail being easy, I
think that clearly works in our favor, since we will likely have folks
who prefer a shorter, easier ride that others.  We can always add
distance to our route to make it more challenging, especially when
there's supposedly 60+ miles of beautiful scenery along the Pine Creek
Trail ALONE.  Additionally, the way some of the rides (on Bill's
website, http://www.pinecreekbikerides.com/) are set up adjacent to
the rail trail, I could easily see linking one or more of these loops
into our route for riders wanting more of a challenge. In fact if we
have a large turnout we can survey the group and possibly split up
into groups to offer easier or more challenging rides.  We could do
the "core ride" together (like a typical organized club event), but
then the longer distance riders could split of on a spur/loop to add a
little extra mileage and challenge.  I am confident there's plenty of
challenge if we want it... We just need to be a little creative.

Shortly I will be sending out some hotel information along with the
proposed dates (May 6-8, Fri-Sun).  But since I have asked a few
individuals to consider other locations in NY State, and want to give
them a chance to come back with other ideas, I will wait another day
to hear back from them; otherwise we can proceed with making plans for
Wellsboro.

Peace,
BB