From: "grant" <grant...@gmail.com>
To: "RBW Owners Bunch" <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:59:27 PM
Subject: [RBW] Re: Splats - Flap?

When you adjust the back velcro snugly, the business end of the Splat
assumes a curvature that stiffens it in the same way you can stiffen a
sheet of paper by making a channel strong enough to roll some marbles
down, or scoop dang sand. The fabric is the Stiff Scottish Stuff (3S)
that starts with more substance than, say, seersucker.
I used Splats during the later rains of last year, and never had
flappage, even though the design might suggest it. I considered
nipping the suggestion in the bud with another strap on the toe-end t
hat could "T" into the arch strap, but that complicates construction
and addresses a problem that's more in one's head than on one's foot.

Splats are as simple as they can be made. They beg to be complicated
in the name of improved, but I like them just the way they are.
They're made with rich-man's fabric by a USA minifacturer, and they're
still only $28. They repel a certain number of people because they
look so funny, and shoe fetishists won't go for them, or fashionistas,
and most females won't, either (if I can call that a prediction
instead of a generalization, I may be able to get away with it). I
predict two things:

1. We'll sell 50 pair before the end of the year, with no impact
whatsoever to our financial well-being, but maybe some fashion
demerits and damage to our classy reputation.

2. Within two years a slicker, more commercial version will appear,
fulla features and widely accepted and available.

A local guy commutes 60 miles a day by motorcycle. He's going to try
them out, and may experience some flappage. At bike-riding speeds---so
far, no problem!