On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 14:29 -0800, William wrote:
> Nobody conclusively says that such things are
> causes or enablers of shimmy, or will bet their life on removing such
> loads being a cure to shimmy

They'd be very foolish to do so, since there are many things that can
cause shimmy including rider behavior.

> Another near-term experiment will be to load the same Saddlesack large
> to a much stiffer rear rack.  The Hillborne now has the rack that came
> with my Burley Piccolo.  It's a beast.  Fat cro-mo tubes welded,
> bomber.  If the shimmy comes from rear load floppiness, and if the
> critical flopiness comes from the rack, then that Burley rack should
> change the shimmy properties substantially.  If the critical flopiness
> comes from the Saddlesack large, then the rack won't change
> anything.

I hope you solve your problem, but when you've done it you still won't
be able to make any kind of sweeping, definitive statement about what
causes and what cures shimmy.  At most you'll be able to say "I did this
to cure mine."