If rested and on short rides I'd probably never use it but I carry a
full "touring load" all the time and in spite of my efforts to reduce
by riding, I only drop 20 pounds at the peak of the riding season.
Grants recent writing clued me into the compensation eating that I
know I do so I am trying some things different this year. Using lower
overall gearing has preserved my knees. I wonder if a Deore rear
derailleur will shift to the 36 tooth cog?