Mike,

I use bar end shifters (bar cons) with cork grips on Albatross bars.
It works very well.

I had to file a groove in the cork grips to clear the shifter cable
housing (easy to do in cork).  I believe RBW demonstrated this in a
video and RR article.

This video shows the grove.  I cut mine with a round file.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RivBikeWorks?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/6/0VaUlzsDDvk

Angus