This is part of where I was coming from in that road maintenance can't
be done without petroleum, at least not good asphalt. And boy do we
bicyclists love a good road surface.Taking things to the extreme also
stirs thought and responses so.......following the Grok idea to the
extreme would lead to the most "green" way of life. Talk about low
impact on the environment.
I am aware that transitions from a sophisticated society to a
primitive one are slower under normal circumstances.  I often think of
the ancient Egyptians, do we really know how  technologically advanced
they were? How much do we know of their understanding of medicine and
science etc. ? How much information has survived of other ancient
cultures and how sophisticated were they really?
As an aside we've been on the paleolithic diet for a few weeks, more
or less and its making a difference and I hope it will pay off when I
bicycle. I'm definitely "down with" going electric, automobile wise
also and may even try a motor on a cargo bike some day since I am a
full 25 miles from the big city.
What does this shotgun approach to posting have to do with Rivendell ?
It seems Grant writes about stuff like this and I enjoy it when he
does. One thing I do know is that I can hardly wait to get a dyno hub
and generate my own electricity while bicycling.