Thomas,

I'm not sure what "really" cold is (live in the south), but I have a
new Shimano freewheel on my Atlantis and it's worked great so far.
Friday's commute to work was 19 degrees, the one prior to that was in
the low 20s with several inches of snow.  Today, a more typical low
50s :-)

These haven't been out there a long time so I don't have a ton of
miles on them (I purchased several from my LBS), but so far so good.

Using it on a Phil Wood/RBW touring hub :-)

Angus