She probably thinks it was a lot of work for something the kid will
outgrow in a few months, but consider this.  Last Oct, my grandson
came home from the hospital in the same handmade sweater his mother
and uncle came home in 35+ years ago.  When they are outgrown she can
lend them out and keep them in the grandparent hope chest.

Congratulations and kudos to the knitter.
michael