I guess what I struggle with is that I didn't change the cable, or
hanger, or ferrule, or the fork...only the brakes themselves; and the
problem stopped...completely...even with the same brake pads.

One way to reduce braking performance with the same force is to change
the contact area between the brake pad and the rim.  Which is what
happens when the pads go into a toe-out situation.

And why would my front tire lift off the ground?  In free body
diaphragm terms, the braking force (and the fork flexing backwards)
would increase the vertical load on the front tire contact patch.

Angus