Gernot,

Before reading the body of your post my thought was a double boiler.

400 F for a 425 F flash point is way too close for me, difficult to
keep an event temperature on a stove at home.  Besides, some things
tend to get smokey close to the flash point.

If I were worried about the wax penetrating, I would leave the chain
in the hot wax longer.

Angus