I heard this story as well and must say I'm not really that surprised.
Part of me has a deep mistrust of plastics and their use in food
containers of any kind. The estrogen-like compounds leeched by
plastics may be having serious consequences for our health - including
our reproductive future. I suspect that once these dangers come to
light and the cost of petroleum products continues its inexorable
rise, the use of plastics will dramatically fall.

One might even turn the quote from "The Graduate" around on its head:

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?