Long trays are around 42" (my ancient ones).  Long trays run all the
way from the front wheel mount to the rear crossbar and may extend
beyond the crossbar to support the rear wheel.  This is needed with a
short roof car where the bars can  only be spaced 3' or so apart.

With short trays, the front wheel mounts attach to one bar and the
trays to the other bar.  This requires the bars be mounted roughly the
wheelbase of the bike(s) apart.  This limits the ability to carry an
adult bike and a child size bike.

dougP