I can't say that I've recently had my first time out on my Hillborne
in 2011 recently, as I've been riding it 4-5 days a week continuously.

However, it was the first I was out on my Hillborne with anyone in
2011. I went shopping with my 8-year-old son, he on his 20"-wheeled
Novara. I had a Wald Huge/large ShopSack in front on a Platrack/Mini,
a Wald Huge/large ShopSack on back on a Nitto R-15 (semi-pannier
version of the R-14/Top Rack). 6 zip-ties each!

Didn't exactly get a week's worth of groceries. But did carry home
what will likely be two-weeks worth of supplies we source from Trader
Joe's (a mere 2.5-mile amble from my house), including a $3 6-pack of
drinkable beer. Of course, the lady in the checkout line wondered
where I had gotten the bags.

Weather was perfect; a nice warm 40-ish degrees.

*That* is the way to shop, folks! Practical family fun!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean, who *almost* always rides alone