On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 12:06 -0700, William wrote:
> "While the Berthoud looks very stable, I don't like the paperclip as
> cotter pin.
> For that price, it should be something more substantial."
>
> Please!  Mine came with a safety pin, not a paperclip ;)
>
> But seriously, if you think something stronger is required there, then
> I suspect you haven't used one.  There's no force trying to pull that
> foot long stainless retention bar out.  All that's needed is something
> to keep it from wiggling itself out, which in my estimation will never
> happen, even if I tossed the safety pin in the trash.  If I do that
> youtube, I'll include a comment about that.

I don't like standard paper clips because they don't last long enough.
I use a circular Clipiola paperclip.
http://volcanoarts.com/cart/accessories/clipiola.jpg   I finally had one
fail, after a year of use.

As to the rod wiggling out w/o a cotter pin, yes it will.  It happened
to me on Bike Virginia.  Not enough so that the rod came all the way
out, but it did wiggle itself out about a cm or so.