On Apr 17, 9:09 am, newenglandbike <matthiasbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess there is no accounting for taste, because I have always dug
> the second top-tube (I prefer the name 'innertube' to 'undertube', but
> i digress) ever since the bombadil came out, although I agree it
> probably works better on a mountain/all-purpose bike.   I was also
> drawn to the plain-gauge tubing.   I still like the bombadil's
> concept, even though now it is changed, but the original parallel
> second tube is hard to beat in my book.

I agree in part. There are many, like yourself, who like the double
top tube look. That's great and with only 15 framesets per size, it
should easily sell. However, Grant is not marketing to you or those
who like it. Instead, he specifically said the frame is aimed at "bike
guys who buy $6,000 carbon frames."  That's ridiculous. People in the
market for $6K carbon bikes are not looking at either 650b or double
top tubes. The only way either of those things get popular with the
$6K carbon crowd is if someone in the Tour de Frances wins on one. Now
THAT will get people's attention and sell these kind of bikes. Of
course, its not going to happen....

> FWIW, I was in Harris Cyclery the yesterday, and they have a 58cm
> Hunqapillar built-up in the show room.    It has the gray/red paint
> job.   All I can say is, pictures don't do that bike justice.

I haven't seen one of those yet and I live in San Francisco! I'm sure
there's a few around as I do see alot of Riv bikes. Good Luck!