I did this on a 135mm frame I have making the 130mm rear hub I used  a
133mm. This is exactly what the Surly Crosscheck was advertised to be
able to do with its 132.5 mm spacing.....fit either size axle. Chrome
moly steel bends quite a bit before it stays bent ( no pun intended )
so I would add spacers and as long as enough axle is in the dropout
you should be fine. It might be better to get a longer axle and add
the spacers rather than trying to make a short axle work although I
did it with my frame.