In case it wasn't clear, I should mention that the HUB Bikes I
originally referenced is the same as Hudson Urban Bicycles mentioned
by Dlbracey, And they do rent and are literally one block from the
West side bike path that runs some 15+ miles from Battery Park past
the George Washington Bridge - a fun ride to do, but it gets really
crowded on nice Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Weekdays and mornings
usually fine.

Peter
NYC