In the USA we have 50 states, each with from dozens to hundreds of counties.
 The authorities with the right to impose constraints on traffic includes
these, but also may include the towns and cities.  It's difficult to say
much about US traffic regulations, because there are differences from place
to place.  Big rules (green means go, red means stop) are uniform.  There is
a national regulation (mandatory) about "traffic control devices," which
includes signs and lane markings, but rules on passing and even road usage
are not standard.

I'd suggest going to Bob Mionski's web site about bicycling law, and see if
there's any reference to a national model.

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Bob <linthi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, there was a cyclist killed here by wing mirrors (or at least
> the chain of events was triggered by being struck by wing mirrors) not
> too long ago, so you're not wrong.
>
> I don't want to paint a grim picture of cycling in the UK, because
> taking in the natural beauty is well worth the risks to most of us. UK
> motorists take driving seriously, which helps.
>
> I have had the privilege of worldwide travel, much with a little
> cycling thrown in. Northern Europe has proven the most cycling
> friendly, the US, the least. (In fact, there is what I sensed to be a
> genuine and ongoing battle between cyclists and motorists in the US.)
>
> One of the factors that cures the "us/them" aspect of sharing the road
> with vulnerable road users is the fact that in most of northern Europe
> and Scandinavia, *everyone* does at least some road cycling, so
> cyclists on the roadway aren't seen as a personal affront to
> motorists.
>
> A little mutual understanding goes a long way . . .
>
> Cheers and come cycling to the UK,
> Bob
>
> On May 28, 7:56 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Bob <linthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  [snip]
> >
> > > the ability to filter is a big reason that I depend on a bicycle for
> commuting and
> > > general transportation. Traffic is a major problem here (and getting
> > > worse, petrol prices be damned), so the ability to wheedle-dee up the
> > > middle is a significant time-saver.
> >
> > Obviously your automotive traffic includes few large pickup trucks
> > with cathedral-buttress-size wing mirrors -- a real danger in tight
> > traffic here in the US SW, left or right. With the big ones, the
> > mirrors sit about ear level on a drop barred bike ridden by a man of
> > average height.
> >
> > Sorry to hear about your traffic, but interesting to hear about your
> > cycling environment.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA