powder coating is a very durable finish.  i completely agree with that
statement.  i have had many bikes powder coated, and as a wood and
metal fabricator, i have had many parts powder coated.  A couple of
years ago i did a project, where the client requested a clear
powdercoat on some steel shelving units, some to be used indoors, and
some to be used outdoors.  I was suprised to be called back one year
later, because surface rust had developed beneath the clear powder
coat.  this happend to both the indoor and outdoor units.  I was
perplexed, had the units sandblasted thoroughly cleaned, and re powder
coated.  i was less suprised when i was called about one year after
that, with the same results.  no structural damage had occurred, but
the client didn't like the look of the rust, so we stripped the units,
and painted them a grey color, that looked similar to raw steel.
anyhow after that we decided to do some tests.  we had several steel
parts powder coated in clear, black and white powder coat, and we
painted the other versions of these same parts with a clear black and
white automotive paint.  i put all of the units on a shelf out of mind
in the shop.  six months later i took the parts down to examine them
and noticed, the clear powder coated unit showed some surface rust
under the clear powder coat.  I decided to strip the powdercoat off of
the other black and white units and lo and behold, there was rust
underneath the powder coat.  I stripped the paint off of the painted
units and there was no rust.
the powder coated units were more difficult to strip than the painted
ones, but in my experience provided less protection from oxidation.
it would take many years for a bike frame to rust away even
unfinished, but if you are worried about rust, it is my experience the
at powder coating isn't as rust protective as wet paint.