I stuck with freewheels, until Sheldon convinced me otherwise, while
discussing which rear hub to use for a Raleigh Twenty build (7 gears)  ...
Something he pronounced  definitively about less stress and strain on the
bearings with a cassette.  I took it on faith. Personally, I never noticed a
difference. I also never knowingly rode a freewheel bike with more than 7
gears. I like to think that with 7 or less gears, it's all the same; with 8
or more gears cassettes are helpful.
Best,
Larry "drive trains with 7 rear gears are the height of bicycle technology"
Fieman